Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Exploring San Diego - Maritime Museum

This past weekend Eric's dad came out to visit us for a few days. On Saturday we got a chance to visit the Soviet submarine B-39, something he's been wanting to see for years (and I know was of great interest to Benny as well). We actually got to visit and tour multiple submarines and ships through the Maritime Museum.

A picture of Eric and I in front of the USS Midway, even though it was not one of the boats we toured that day.

The first submarine we saw was the USS Dolphin, which was a Navy deep-diving research and development submarine. It was in use for 38 years which was the longest career in history for a US Navy submarine. It was decommissioned fairly recently in 2007.






Next we spent some time in the actual museum which was pretty impressive.





The one the guys were most eager to see was the Russian submarine. It was one of the Soviet Navy's largest non-nuclear submarines.





It definitely felt much larger inside than the USS Dolphin.



Finally before we left we decided to check out the Star of India, a merchant sailing ship. It is the oldest ship still sailing regularly and the oldest iron-hulled merchant ship still floating.



It made me grateful that I've never had to live on any of them - I don't think that would be the life for me. We had a lot of fun exploring though, it was definitely worth the visit!

3 comments:

  1. How cool! I'm with you, no sea life for me either, but I can admire those who do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! And depressing that "recently" is actually 11 years ago now...we are getting old! 😳

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like an interesting day! I can't imagine being out on one of those for several months!

    ReplyDelete